Monday, May 6, 2013

New York!

Sorry this post is so late! This website it blocked at the rec center, so I have to wait until I’m in town to post this. But in the past few weeks, I’ve been to New York, and hosted a retreat weekend at the rec center.
New York provided a good lesson in why planning is essential to this job! We had some major accessibility issues, and it made me reflect on the ADA laws. I’ve never paid much attention to those laws. When I worked at Camp Courage in Minnesota, our camp was very accessible, and we stayed on the camp, so we didn’t have to worry about making sure bathrooms, buses, and streets were accessible. In New York, there are people EVERYWHERE and they aren’t very polite. It was just another small reminder that I’m not in Colorado anymore.
New york was still a lot of fun! I got to see my first Broadway play! We saw Annie, and it was legit! We’re going back to New York in the fall, and I’m ready to conquer it!
The retreat weekend was fiesta themed, and we certainly had fun! It brought me back to my camp days! We did all of the camp activities, but this time, I was in charge of all of the planning and leading, and it was a tough job! Trying to keep 10 adults occupied for 48 hours was tough, but we made it fun!
One of my favorite parts of the job are the travelers! They keep me on their toes, and they always keep me laughing! It’s been awesome getting to meet everyone, and hopefully they’re having as much fun as I am!
These next few weeks are full of training and planning. Starting June 18th, I go on 10 straight trips. I won’t know which way is up or down, but I’ll get to see some really cool places!



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun and it is always more fun to travel at someone else's expense, even if you are working.
    Old man here is asking if you could try a different font. I have trouble reading this one. Sorry to complain, if possible that would be great. If not, I will follow along anyway.
    Uncle Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, much easier to read. Looking forward to your parents visit this weekend.
    Uncle Jon

    ReplyDelete